The Company, founded in 1959 as Società Finanziaria Cantieri Navali – Fincantieri Società per Azioni, became an operational company in 1984, as a result of the merger of eight of its subsidiaries, operating in the field of ship construction and repairs and manufacturing of mechanical components and diesel engines. In January 2013 the Company doubled its dimensions with the acquisition of STX OSV, a Norwegian group that operates in the offshore sector.
The Company’s headquarters and corporate offices, which are located in Trieste, provide support, planning and coordination services for the business units and the subsidiaries.
The main design centres are located in Trieste and Genoa; the headquarters of CETENA, the subsidiary company engaged in research and technical consultancy in the naval and maritime field, are also in Genoa.
The structure of the Fincantieri Group, based on 5 Business Units, is tailored according to the specificities of the markets.
The Business Units rely upon an integrated production network of 21 shipyards and two manufacturing sites units dedicated to the production of mechanical components and systems.